History of Greenwood
In 1991, Greenwood celebrated its Centennial as a community. A school has been part of that history from the very beginning. A "new" school was built in 1881 and in 1897 the community received a charter from the state to run a high school. In 1914, the citizens renewed their commitment by building a new high school of brick! Several additions have taken place since then, with the largest addition being a new high school addition in 1960. The 1914 building then served as a junior high school. Other improvements included a new gym in 1980, an extensive renovation project of the 1914 building in 1982, and a new auto-technology wing. The 1914 building served the community until its faithful work was retired in the summer of 1998.
In 1998, Greenwood celebrated its 100th year of high school education in the Greenwood community. It also marked the dedication of a new high school built on the same spot as the first "new" school back in 1881.
With the consolidation of rural schools a separate elementary school, on the east side of the city, was built in 1970. This 1970 "state-of-the-art" building still serves Greenwood's children and the Greenwood community very well. The initial design easily lent itself to the changes necessary to accommodate educational innovations and state mandates over the years.